On Fri, July 24, 2020 8:54 am, Craig via Mercedes wrote:
> How does one tell if a specific brand is still good stuff?

Best I can come up with is ask people whose career involves using that
sort of tool. They might not know the day the bad stuff hits the shelves
after a brand gets sold, but they should figure it out fairly quickly.

I checked the web and found this:
https://www.robinair.com/about
Robinair was founded in 1956 by the Kent-Moore Corporation of Warren,
Michigan, to design and manufacture specialized tools for repairing
appliances. The name of the new company was a combination of the names of
two Kent-Moore executives, Robinette and Adair.
Today, Robinair, a Bosch Automotive Service Solutions brand, is a global
leader in service tools and equipment based in Owatonna, Minnesota. OK,
somebody using the Bosch name owns Robinair, what's that mean?

So then I find that BASS is still part of the Bosch we all know and love:
https://in-ww.bosch-automotive.com/en/about_us_workshopworld/bosch_automotive_/basic_type_29

Sometimes Wiki can help you out. I've known for a while that Nakamichi was
Chinese dreck, and wiki says:
Nakamichi is a subsidiary of Chinese holding company Nimble Holdings.

Stereo equipment names are depressing to watch go down the tubes. Like
when I saw KLH speakers sold by mail for cheap in the early 90s, bought a
set and they were Chinese crap, or when you see a $50 Blaupunkt indash
unit with speakers included.