Not expecting much, I decided I'd try changing the transmission fluid on
the Element that won't stay in gear. My alternative was to try selling
it as-is and probably getting little more than salvage value for it.

Last time I changed it, I used Castrol fluid that said "for Honda" on
the label.

Fluid was black when I drained it. Filled with genuine Honda fluid,
drove it around until it was warm. Drove better, but still dropped out
of gear a few times (it seems to just drop into neutral instead of
properly shifting to the next gear). Did the drain/fill again. Fluid was
again black. It was dark by then so I called it a night.

Today, drove it around the neighborhood for a while to warm it
up. Shifted perfectly. Drained the fluid again, was somewhat dark but
still transparent and red. Filled again, will drive it some more
tomorrow. I have enough fluid for one more drain/fill.

Not confident yet that this is a long term fix but so far it's looking
hopeful.

Allan