Well the problem has started to return -- so if the fluid is magic it
was used quickly.

I guess there is an inline filter in the line to the cooler. I was told the
filter was internal to the transmission and not replacable without
disassembly.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~filter~25430-plr-003.html

When I start the car I hear a whine like the transmission pump is
starved for fluid. That goes away after warm up. But the level is at the
max mark on the dipstick. So maybe the filter is so dirty that not
enough is circulating when cold and pressure is too low for good gear
changes.

Anyway it should be one last cheap thing to try.

Allan