hue wong wrote:
Hi all!

I have always loved these older mercedes.

Does anyone have any idea how hard it might be to
round up parts (engine and tranny and I suspect other
type of suspension and such will be needed) or if
another type of engine would bolt in?

I tend to have trouble finding parts for my 71 280.  I
could only imagine what this one could be like...

Anyway.  thanks in advance...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/159083699.html

When I was in graduate school (mid '70s) the machinist that did micromachine work for me (making biologically tolerable implantable devices and the tools to implant them) had a '51 220. It was in excellent condition (all things considered) and was driven daily. He took a month long trip from Pittsburgh thru the southwest to the northwest, back across Canada and thru New England. No problems. He decided to completely rebuild the car and disassembled it cleaning each piece. I mean EVERYTHING - including disassembling the engine and transmission, differential, etc. That took the better part of a year. I stopped by his garage every now and then. Most of the car was hanging from hooks on the walls. And they stayed there. I saw him in the mid '90s. He said the car was still on the wall. I've lost track of him - last time I checked he was building prototype artificial hearts.

Another of my colleagues bought a 50-52 170 or 220 (don't recall which now) convertible in the early '80s. As he proceeded to restore it (I don't know if he ever completed the project) he discovered that at least some of the frame was wood!

Some parts will still be available thru the Mercedes Classics Center, but many are not.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)