I know I'll probably be hunted down and shot for suggesting this, but
I've often thought it would be fun to put together a 170D or 180D
street rod with the full Finnish Super Turbo setup and complete W124
suspension and running gear undercarriage treatment.  That would be
one unique vehicle.

You are a sick, sick man.  I like it!

The thing I dislike about most rods that I've seen is that the
interior is often on the who-could-live-with-it? side.  All the
effort goes into the body shop and running gear, and maybe to
the upholsterer, but little is done to make a nice instrument
package or other interior appointments.  Granted, most of them
aren't intended to be driven much, but the beauty of hot diesel
setups is how street-friendly they can be.

-- Jim