You need a Dim Bulb Tester for this -- put a incandescent light bulb in series
with the hot side of the power plug.  Unlike a Variac (which reduces the
voltage) the light bulb will limit the current, allowing you to troubleshoot
without frying anything.

The lamp should go bright as the filter capacitors charge, then go fairly to
very dim with no inputs and the volume all the way down.  if it stays bright or
only slightly dims, you have a short somewhere.

Electrolytic capacitors have a defined life, and a Philco console is what, 55
or so years old now, or older?  All the electrolytic caps need to be replaced
-- as they dry out they become resistors (or worse, shorts) and not only do not
do what they are supposed to but can actually cause current drains or damage
transistors.

I just revived my 1980 Kenwood KA-80 this year, at long last, had several blown
zener diodes and a shorted Darlington Power Pak output module.  Couple of the
transistors driving the output module were bad too, and I still have issues
with the phono pre-amp I will need an oscilloscope figure out.

If you don't have good electronics skills, best to have a professional work on
it.  A lot of those transistors (especially germanium ones) are no longer
around, even on eBay and the dark recesses of old parts supply places.  It
would be a shame to fry something by accident that's unobtanium, rendering the
console useless.