Railroad, post civil war.  The rail empire wanted a terminus and one was
proposed in Port Townsend at the NE tip of the Olympic peninsula.  Opening of
Puget sound, protected end of the Straits of Juan de Fuca.  Quick and super
easy shipping port for global trade.  Great location for ships to head to
Vancouver BC or Bellingham to also pick up timber.

Seattle was founded by a pack of settlers in 185x who wanted to exploit vast
tracts of timber and brought women folk with them.  A schism of opposing
logging families platted the town to their own purposes, at opposition to each
other.  There were seven hills, just like Rome, and great dreams of unbridled
power.  Toss in some of the excess migration from Oregon Trail, CA gold rush,
and having Hudson Bay outpost on the Columbia thrown out and having to relocate
above the 49th parallel.  It was pretty much a nowhere town of drunk loggers,
hookers, some fishing interest, and had a developable protected bay.  But it
took the trans continental railways to spark a boom.

Three options arose, Port Townsend - tip of access to the Pacific, Tacoma -
very nice harbor and lots of lumber to export, but to the 30 miles south of
Seattle.  Seattle - a protected bay but steep hills, except not in the lahar
flow plain of Mt Rainier, which Tacoma is.  Insert bribes and standard
political shenanigans.  Railroads chose the most “lucrative” option.

As for the buses sliding down icy hills…  The original builders, once the
wooden city burnt down in 1887 or so, built a really spectacular urban
transport light rail system.  Inter-Uban serviced a 90 mile corridor.   Cable
cars to surmount said hills on the very rare occasions that a very cold/snow
event would take place.  Most of the streets are actually laid out in harmony
with topography, but for the steep inclines to actually summit and access the
fairly flat area above.  GM buses killed that.  Cars and poor civic engineering
put the nails in the coffin.

Since freezing weather is very rare (mild climate and lots of large bodies of
water surrounding) the most challenging driving environment is wet roads or
when the sun comes out.   Change over from wet to sunny or reverse is mayhem on
the roads.  Toss in the once or twice a decade snow shower, and there is no way
people have a clue how to drive.  Akin to a snow event in ATL.  Except, there
are mountain passes that need to be negotiated just 45 miles east on i-90.
Nobody knows how to drive those either.  Turns into semi-truck pinball game
when snowing.

Clay

inter urinas et faeces nascimur