The "trick" is that you adjust valves in the order that they come up to the
proper position as the camshaft is rotated, and you do NOT go in sequential
order of one cylinder to the next.  I mark a piece of scratch paper with "E
\ I" repeated once for each cylinder (meaning Exhaust and Intake) and as
each valve comes up  (lobe points to the oiler tube) you adjust that valve
and mark it off on the paper.

For instances, let's say #1 exhaust valve is fully closed, camshaft lobe
pointing to the oil tube, so you adjust that valve and mark it off on your
paper.  Watch the camshaft as you rotate the engine clockwise, and #3
Intake valve comes up next.  Adjust that, mark off the paper, and
continue.  You should be able to adjust each valve in less than one
complete rotation of the camshaft.  You need the paper chart so you can
keep track of what you've done and not miss any.

DON"T FORGET to check the timing chain stretch while you have the valve
cover off!  The attached document says it is for newer engines, but the
same principle applies to the OM61x engines.  I like to lay a straight edge
across the camshaft bearing caps, lined up over the marks so that it makes
it very easy to line up to the mark on the camshaft gear.
Max
Charleston SC