Our geothermal heat pump has been doing fine so far - it's 12°F here now -
hasn't turned on the resistive strips yet. It's supposed to get to -7
Monday so that will be a real test. The house is a "modular home", code for
a gussy'd up double wide, 1600 sq. ft., and leaky.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 9:44 AM Curt Raymond via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>  Our wood stove is a Jotul 118 which is a big stove, it'll accept 24"
> wood. It's in the basement which is usually considered a negative but our
> house is small enough (just over 900sqft) that it heats the whole place
> pretty well although the bedroom stays pretty cool. I set the oil burner
> thermostat at 62 and then use wood to bring the house to 69-70 all day. Its
> back down to 62 by morning but I can have it back up to temp within 2 hours.
> This week I've been teaching, for that I sit on our enclosed porch and run
> one of those oil filled electric heater. There is hydronic out here but the
> circuit is shut off. I figure for only 5-6 hours a day it doesn't make
> sense to run the oil heat. With the door open the heat from the rest of the
> house gets in too. Usually start the electric heat 2-3 hours before class
> and shut it off 1 hour before class ends. Figure less than $1 a day...
> -Curt
>
>     On Friday, February 12, 2021, 9:12:31 AM EST, Jaime Kopchinski via
> Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
>  We have a Jotul wood insert which is outstanding.  Its been cold, under
> freezing for a few days for the most part.  I heat with my minisplits and
> the wood insert, but the large 3 zone split stopped working earlier this
> week.  This meant we were running with one 12k split on one end of the
> house and the wood stove.  Still managed to keep the living room in the low
> 70s.  It would fall into the 60s overnight after the insert started to burn
> low.
>
> The failure of the Fujitsu was interesting... I self installed, so assumed
> no warranty.  Initially the failure showed on the indoor units as no
> communication to the outdoor.  The outdoor unit showed no power to the main
> board, but was supplying power to the indoor units.  I found a blown fuse
> on one power supply board, soldered on.  I ordered a new fuse from
> McMaster, checked the obvious places I could for a short, then soldered it
> in when it arrived.  The unit powered up then, but wouldn't heat and gave a
> code for the outdoor unit fan after a while, which wasn't spinning.  More
> testing showed 400V DC (!) to the fan connector and open circuit on the fan
> motor.  I ordered up a new fan and installed it yesterday and all is good
> now.
>
> Cost me about $300 to fix.  If I did it by the service manual, I would have
> had to replace the power supply board, the main control board, and the
> fan.  Probably would have been a $2000 repair if I called someone.
>
> But its a nice reminder how powerful the Jotul insert is.  Worst case, I
> can run the oil fired steam heat still, but it generally costs a fortune.
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 6:52 PM Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually it does have an insert, with a blower etc and it will throw out
> > lot of heat. I just hate messing with it.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

> [...]

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!