On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 11:10:18PM -0500, Zoltan Finks wrote:
> Gang, it's worth a chuckle I know, but I think I overfilled my Saab's engine
> oil when I changed it this afternoon (guess I forgot it takes only four
> quarts? That's kinda nice - one fewer quart to buy).
>
> I think it's true that it's not too harmful to overfill the engine oil, but
> what think ye all?

Gassers don't mind, in fact it used to be common to overfill cars with
straight sixes and a pan without baffles if you were cornering hard. Well,
american cars.

One quart is probably not going to make a difference. If the oil level
makes contact with the crank, the oil will break down incredibly fast from
sloshing. Other badness is possible if you're really unlucky.

A diesel will run itself to death off crank slosh, as the engine is quite
happy to burn oil as fuel.