I dealt with this as a former road warrior.

I did what Floyd suggested, made nice with my “gal” who would then make sure
for the most part I got the airline, seats and hotels I preferred. They had a
profile for everyone that had all your preferences in it, and I can’t complain
as they did a good job for the most part.

Understand that you might be fighting a losing battle, as with most companies
this approach it two-fold:

1.) The obvious, to keep travel costs to a minimum.

2.) By utilizing particular carriers who give the company kick-backs for the
bookings on their flights.

To give you and idea of how messed up #2 can be, I had to go to New Zealand one
time. NZ and AUS flights are very expensive because both countries control the
routes in and out. A typical business class airfare to Auckland was $4k at the
time. I had a discount coupon I had earned on Northwest for a $2k business
class flight I was willing to use.

Nope. We had to use United ($4k flight) because that was our preferred carrier,
that is, they kicked money back to the Travel Dept. every year for the bookings
they made with them. BS.

When I asked how much of the kickbacks went against my travel budget, I was
told “None”. It all went back to corporate.

On a related note, they also tried to make us use our mileage points for
corporate travel, but that ended poorly. If you used points to book a business
flight they would reimburse you the cheapest fare on that route. And oh yeah -
it was paid out as income, so you got taxed on it, too. I don’t know anyone who
ever did this

-D