From: Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 21 May 2006 09:34:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tire Purchase DIY

I bought a set of kumhos from tire rack to install on my 85 300D, have
not done it yet.  Everyone here says they are great.

Tony Wirtel wrote:

>>yea, sears is another one that has different spec tires than a dealer,
>>in fact, they will have the sears logo on them.

> I've liked Kumho tires for  some time.   Went to Sears to replace a set on
> my wifes Passat and guess what- the tire that is dressed to look/sound like
> their current 60k mile tire is actually only the new tread pattern onto an
> old carcass, is good for only 40k miles and (drum roll please) is made
> especially for Sears in China.  Same price- no thanks.   Didn't see the
> Sears name on it though.
>
> Now, all of my Kumhos (20 so far) as well as the 2 just bought from Tire
> Rack instead of Sears have been made in Korea.  Makes a difference to me.
>
> If only I could mount the things myself.  Local shop "forgot" that I wanted
> to torque the rims myself; caught after the first tire was done.  Somehow an
> 80# torque stick managed to apply at least 140# of torque.  Neither the tech
> or writer appeared to know what a torque wrench was.
>
> Tony Wirtel

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  91 300D 2.5 Turbo, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 87 420SEL, 87 300SDL,
  85 380SE, 85 300D, 84 190D 2.2, 83 300TD, 81 300TD, 81 240D,
  76 240D, 76 300D, 74 240D, 73 280SEL 4.5, 72 250C, 69 250
http://www.striplin.net