For what it's worth, the recently resurrected 87 300D with ducttaped
and bandaided transmission turns in 29.5 on the daily commute, and on a
trip this weekend to san diego was pulling down tanks at 33 mpg. Acts like
it has a bit of a lazy turbo, so I'll be checking the usual suspects with
respect to boost in my copious free time. Right now, the 87 300TD will walk
this thing off the road. ALDA is shimmed, so it's likely that a line is
coked, sensor effed up, or perhaps it needs a new turbo - this engine had
a trap on it for about 260k... oil consumption is also a teense higher
than usual.

As an aside, for those of you who are avoiding the 95s because they don't
have a turbo, and instead buying 90-93s, look at the horsepower and torque
numbers before you make that decision. Granted, the 606 is more complicated
than the 602, but the 95 is a more powerful car. IIRC, they are within ten
horsepower of the 87 300D.