163s are good to go with towing with no nanny issues. Put on the hitch (I just
swapped a 5000lb Drawtite it off the 99ML320 with some tranny limp mode gremlin
Onto the 05ML500) and the light kit, you need a powered adapter, whole kit is
like $25 or so, per Mitch’s suggestion I pulled power off the rear outlet, easy
peasy. That took longer than the hitch kit to swap over as I soldered all the
wire joints and had to verify wires.

The 164s have the trailer nanny, keeps brakes and stability controls happy. $2k
kit If it was not built with it. The 164 is also uniframe unlike the
body-on-frame 163s. I’m thinking to do a lift on this 99E320 when I get the
trans issue sorted (I think at this point it must be a bad wire in the harness
somewhere as a new CP and TCM did not resolve the limp issue). I got some 18”
wheels from a 220 (I think) that will fit with like 8 or 10mm spacers, could
get some big tars on them.

164 is nice, bought a 11ML350 dizzel for the former spousal unit, total hot
rod. When she gets tired of it I might try to acquire it. I put a hitch on it
for a bike rack but did not do the nanny. From what I recall of driving it the
ride was a bit softer than my 163 500 but it had all the same drivetrain
features, low range and such. Nice vehicle, it was fast as hell, the dizzel was
a torque monster.

All in all the 163 is likely a better choice for self-maintenance.  Its pretty
basic aside from a few nannies.  722.6 is a good trans, not sure what’s in the
164, probably a 722.9 which is more problematic. Upgrade the sound/nav unit and
you’re all good. I’d go for a later model, the 05 is likely more sorted as it
was the last year.

--FT
Sent from iPhone