I decided to drive the 123 wagon with the motor swap. It is pretty great. I
put the cat back on to pass CARB. It is a euro wagon, so if it were not
motor swapped, there would be no way to license it here in CA, lacking as
it does a federal emissions sticker. With a 2006 motor it can be done, as
long as it conforms to stock tune and emissions specs for 2006. Which it
now does.

Adding the cat back cost some performance for sure. But it also made the
car far less stinky to drive. It now drives like any modern car, except
more torque. The exhaust gas recirculation seems very loud also when it is
on, which seems to be mostly when the car is cold for some reason. I think
it shuts the VNT vanes down tight to raise the EGP and shunt the exhaust
back through a cooler to the intake when the cat is cold.

Anyway, the front springs are a little light for the om648. The car is not
super low, but the suspension doesn't have enough travel up front, and oil
pan will hit a concrete parking stop if I drive up too close. I was
thinking of trying some 126 front springs. Anyone know if they are any
stiffer? Thanks.