Here you can call the utility co. and they will come out and pull a fuse or
switch at the transformer - killing power to everything including the
meter. When you're finished, call them and they will turn it back on. How
responsive they are to your calls might be another issue ---

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 11:59 AM Randy Bennell via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I am not an electrician and I know nothing about the rules in Florida,
> so take this with a grain of salt.
>
> I think you should be able to install a splitter box (which is basically
> a metal box with terminals inside to connect wires ) where the old panel
> is and then run new wires up to a new panel, or perhaps up to 2 new
> panels. A friend has a set up like that in his house. He has 2 100 Amp
> panels. The ability to have an actual 200 Amps likely depends on how big
> the wire coming in is and the size of the meter box but often the issue
> is not so much the need for 200 Amps as it is the need for space for
> more breakers etc. Who uses all of their electrical stuff at one time?
>
> You are likely not allowed to do it but if you can remove the meter from
> the socket, then there would be no power feed into the house and you
> could install the splitter box and a new panel quite safely. Then just
> push the meter back in. Around here the meters are glass or now plastic
> covered bowl shaped things. There is a ring around the outside that
> holds it onto the meter socket box. Remove the seal and the ring comes
> off. Then you should be able to pull the meter out if you wiggle it a
> bit as you pull. It just has male metal terminals that go into female
> terminals on the inside of the meter socket box. To re-install you just
> push it in tight to the socket frame and put the ring clamp back on.
> Leave the broken seal on the ground under it so the utility company
> thinks it fell off?
>
> You should get permits for this sort of thing and/or hire an
> electrician, but lots of people do things like this themselves. Just be
> careful and know what you are doing.
>
> A friend actually changed out his panel while it was live. He did not
> want to pull the meter because he knew there was a broken part in the
> meter socket and it would have to be replaced. He disconnected wires in
> the panel and taped rubber spark plug boots over the ends in order to
> get them out of the panel and into the new panel while they were live. I
> thought he was crazy to risk it but he did it without killing himself.
>

> On 14/07/2021 6:48 PM, dan penoff.com via Mercedes wrote:
> > Wondering if anyone here has experience with relocating an existing
> distribution panel in a house?
> >
> > In this case the existing panel, a 1970s 100A service panel, has been
> partially obstructed by “improvements” to the house that place it at or
> near floor level of an exterior deck.
> >

> [cid:0852C906-A70E-43D0-A951-22936A1E8C78][cid:BA5F3A9B-D003-4A56-A2DF-E8D575390C6D]
> >
> > Ideally, I would want to raise it up to the proper height as well as
> possibly increase the size to a 200A service. I realize the service
> capacity would be a utility thing we would have to work out with them. From
> my experience with utilities, it shouldn’t involve any changes to speak of
> as I suspect the transformer and service drop is probably good for 200A.

> [...]

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!