Not wishing to count chickens before, etc., I am pleased to report that the
240d seems to be improving by the day.

I have driven it for about three hours in the last three days and it now
idles with almost no smoke (and it smoked some even before #1 cylinder
packed it in).

It runs very nicely on the road, and the power is coming back. Best
indicator, aside from the seat of my pants, is that I can now get into 4th
without using up a mile of tarmac ;-). Other automatic 240d owners will
understand what I mean....

HOWEVER, we aren't out of the woods yet as it's a complete tossup as to what
it does, once you come to a stop. Sometimes it idles so close to perfect
it's scary. Other times it's back to behaving like an unbalanced old Kenmore
washer, chugga lugga chug chug cough splutter rock'n roll'n bounce.

Keep your collective fingers crossed on this one. I figure my chances are
about 50/50 to be back driving it within a week, OR to report I've blown it
up on the next test drive.

In any case, all of the list input on this one was hugely appreciated.

--
"Mac"
Steve MacSween