Weeeelll, apart from the #1 valve being pretty much closed, before, I don't
think we'll ever be able to say for sure.

My theory (which is mine, which is to say it belongs to me) is that the
valve not working properly caused a buildup of deposits in the upper
chamber, which I guess I am now burning away.

How that relates to the way it's behaving now (erratic idle) is beyond my
skill set or imagination to explain, tho.

What I *can* say is that it sounds completely different now, than when I
first drove it last year. Sounds better than my SD, as a matter of fact, and
that is running really nicely right now (looks around frantically for piece
of wood).

Mac