On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 05:21:58PM -0700, Curt Raymond wrote:
> MA will not recognize temp tags of any kind, in theory (although I've
> never heard of it) somebody driving in MA with a temp tag can be pulled
> over, their car impounded and they can spend the night in jail... I
> checked this with the state, there is no reciprocity and no willingness
> to recognize other state's temp tags. Baffles me.

It is comforting to know that there are states out there that are more screwed
up than California.

I believe the reasoning for impounding the vehicle is that there is no
valid registration on the vehicle, so it cannot be legally insured according
to MA law, and because of the same law, it can be impounded. They do allow
for out of state visitors to drive out of state vehicles with valid
registration though...

How this isn't flipping the bird at the constitution is somewhat beyond me,
and belongs with a pile of legislation from California that will be really
interesting if it gets appealed to federal appeals/supreme court.