Nothing baffling about it. The Commonwealth of MA is just that -- making everyone's wealth common by extorting as much of it as they can in any way possible to redistribute to the legislature.

--R (formerly a Bay Statah, now a Texan)

Curt Raymond wrote:

Its amazing the variation between states, in MA you'd have gone directly to
jail do not pass go they collect $200 (probably substatially more). When I
bought my 240D it was in New Jersey. The dealership was entirely willing to
issue temp tags once I put insurance on. A MA insurance company cannot insure a
car without you getting a real MA tag. MA will not recognize temp tags of any
kind, in theory (although I've never heard of it) somebody driving in MA with a
temp tag can be pulled over, their car impounded and they can spend the night
in jail... I checked this with the state, there is no reciprocity and no
willingness to recognize other state's temp tags. Baffles me.
-Curt