A 20ga will work fine for personal defense and is more approachable for a
smaller person, heck even a .410 will do the job and that will have essentially
zero recoil.

Slug barrels are generally short, 24" or less. I had an 18 1/2" for my
Mossberg, barrel just barely cleared the magazine tube. A smoothbore slug
barrel is good for personal defense because it won't have any choke.

-Curt

On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 11:02:29 AM EDT, Randy Bennell via Mercedes