In her case, a semi auto 12 gauge might work better. The muscle memory
needed to operate a pump would delay her from defending herself if needed.
The sound of a slide rack only works in the movies as a deterrent and
telegraphs your location for the perp to shoot. If the criminal is psycho
enough to kick your door in at 10 pm, the only sound that works to effect
is an unexpected round of anything to the head.
There is a 20 gauge youth model that is sized better for the average
female, and 20 kicks less so more likely to get repeat shots on target
[with practice]. WalMart used to sell them, if you have one that still
sells nugs.