What Jaime said.

I’ve done it in a W114, and it’s nearly as bad as the W108. Not something you
want to start unless you’ve got a lot of time to spend on it. I have a scar on
the back of my right hand from when I did the W114.

One other thing is that if you can determine that the motor is still working
but seized or not turning well (there are bushings in it that typically fail)
you can take some of the white 3mm vacuum tubing, the stuff that’s used
throughout every vintage Mercedes engine compartment, and use it like a straw
to draw some ATF into it. Thread it down through the cowl opening to the back
of the motor and let the ATF flow out into the bushing. It’s messy, but goes a
long way to lube the bushing and keep the motor turning. I’ve done this on
every W114/W108 I’ve owned to make sure the fan motor is lubed up.

-D