On the W115, I opened up the front center speaker hole to get the blower
motor out, I didn't cut the firewall. That was the second one. I followed
the manual to replace the first one - took over twice as long.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 1:06 PM David Bruckmann via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> My '72 280SEL 4.5 has a dead heater blower motor. It was set to "low" and
> when I started the car several months ago, electrical smoke emerged from
> the area above the motor that contains the filters.
>
> My question: I know that people literally cut through the firewall to
> replace the blower in a 115. Is the 108 as bad, or will I be able to
> actually reach the fan itself through the air intakes on the cowl to see if
> it at least turns. I don't think I can REMOVE the motor that way, but it
> would be nice to see if I can at least check whether the fan is seized,
> maybe even put a few drops of ATF on the bearings.
>
> Here's a video (from quite a sensible man, in California, with numerous
> 108-oriented videos) covering the replacement of the cabin air filters
> under the cowl. In part of the video, he shows the insides of the cowl
> area.
>
> Here's the URL
>
> https://youtu.be/55U4y4KqmAE
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> D.

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!