Desirable for what? For driving - either the very early 350/450 or the 560.
The early ones don't have ACC to fight with. The 560 is the most refined
and has enough power. The 380 felt sluggish to me - didn't like it.
I'd want a hard top - had enough of soft tops with the MGA and '58 Chevy to
last the rest of my life. THe pagoda hardtop is the best looking as well.
That's my NSHO.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:44 PM Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I have been offered a 73? SL, its been sitting in garage for 8 or so
> years.  Will need fuel tank pulled and cleaned out.  Pump replaced. Zero
> rust, very nice paint, interior supposedly OK, converted to electronic
> ignition, has about 200k on it, supposedly new injectors at 190, new
> exhaust at 180, new shocks and springs at 170.  Its red, no hard top.
> Been looking at a 85 which is white, you can read about it here
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/125520279598
>
> Doubt I buy either one of them but it just got me to thinking about the
> differences between the early and later cars and if one is more
> desirable that the other, aside from the 560.
>
> On 9/23/2022 10:37 PM, Jim Cathey wrote:
> >> General question about 107s.  What would be more desirable, an early
> 107, a 72 450 with D Jet, mechanical lifters but converted to electronic
> ignition, or a later 85 380?  Is the hard tip missing a huge deal on these
> or are they easy to find?
> > For my money, the late 380 is a sweet deal.  Hard tops are easy to find,
> or at least
> > used to be.  They all came with one, but many cars were wrecked when the
> top was
> > off.  They used to have a bunch hanging in Aurora (in Seattle) when I
> was last there,
> > years ago.  _I_ even have an extra top, I bought it for the defroster
> glass.  I think I paid
> > about $350 for the top, off Craigslist.
> >
> > 'Officially', the 380 is the bottom of the list, the 450 the middle, and
> the 560 the top.
> > But the 380 is a trouble-free, evolved specimen, and unless you want a
> race car it's
> > plenty fast enough.
> >
> > -- Jim

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!