Gerry wrote:
Here's a slightly humorous submission from an automotive repair group I'm on. Lucas (British), Bosch (German), and Magneti Maranelli (Italian); make auto electric and other parts. Moto Guzzi makes motorcycles.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness. See, it's normal for all British components to
leak.  Cars leak oil, fuel, and coolant - it's only natural for British
electrics to leak smoke.

The only thing I know of that is scarier than Lucas is Magneti Marelli. The
only thing that saves my Moto Guzzi-s is that they have Bosch starters and
charging systems. Apparently Bosch bought out merged with Magneti Marelli in
1999. I did not know this. Now to be fair Lucas is/was a big company and
had/has products for aerospace that are made with extreme quality however
it has been my personal experience that this is not true of their consumer
automotive electrics.

It is said that at the Moto Guzzi factory the workers come to work early and
very meticulously, with great passion do all the mechanical assembly and
paint most of the day's bikes. Then they break for a late lunch where lots
of wine is consumed and all of the towns girls are placed at extreme risk.
Then the boss goes through the town and rounds up all the workers and
returns them to the factory. At this time all the bikes are wired and the
unfortunate few are painted. I don't know this for a fact but all my Guzzi
friends don't/won't dispute it.