on 6/16/06 9:46 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 05 F250
> Powerstroke , crew cab, for $18,900.  Thats DIRT CHEAP.  Only problem is
> that its got 150K miles on it.  Thats ALOT of miles for a 1 year old
> truck.  Anybody know anything about these newer powerstrokes?  Is that
> too many miles for such a truck?

Well, personally I have no problem with insane mileage on a recent diesel
vehicle, just suggests it was driven like a diesel wants to be: lots of
highway, not pooping around to the supermarket. One caveat would be, is
there a maintenance record with it?

You need to familiarize yourself with the PowerStrokes, aka PowerJokes. They
have their issues for sure, and they aren't simple. For example, the
injectors fire off OIL PRESSURE, not fuel pressure. There are two oil pumps,
one just for the injectors. Also the crank position sensors are failure
prone in the extreme. I did some research on them last year for a friend,
but that's all I remember.

Generally, the pre-PowerStroke 7.2 (?) Ford diesels are considered to be
damn near bulletproof. OTOH, the current generation of Ford pickups are a
really nice vehicle, had a rental for a week last year and was completely in
love with the thing.

There are a couple of good info Web sites for them.

Mac