From: Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:47:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Powerstroke?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:09:34PM -0500, Luther Gulseth wrote:
> Can you say Flowerchoke?  Dude, get a real engine.  Get a Cummins.

I smack talk my powerchoke all the time, since I really wanted a truck with
a real injector pump and without all the electronics. Dead stock, it'll
leave a cummins when climbing a hill, and both the cumminses and I will be
laughing at the bowtie garbage at the bottom of the hill. The cummins
has a narrower powerband which will hurt you with an automatic. For all of
its electronics, the powerchoke has been rock solid reliable for over a quarter
of a million miles, and with a locker, automatic, and 33s, still gets over
20 mpg on the highway with no mods.

This said, the aforementioned K30 is going to get a cummins transplanted into
it since the 6.2 isn't heavy duty enough and the 6.5 is a waste of my time.
Both were designed as light duty engines, whereas the cummins and powerstroke
were designed as medium duty engines. I have worked on Isuzu medium duty
engines before, and that coupled with all the electronics on the duramax,
I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.