Yeah the waterboxer engines were prone to head gasket leaks. Though I drove
mine to Florida and back at 70 MPH with no issues.

There was a kit to put a Ford Focus (Zetec) engine in a Vanagon. It seemed well
done, but not cheap -- $7,900 and that doesn't include the engine. I'd probably
do that over a Subaru conversion. Based on my experience with my '03 Focus, the
Zetec engine is bulletproof.

https://www.bostig.com/bostig-vanagon-conversion-2022-2023-kits-20-deposit-total-price-7895/