It's the drive shaft, not an axle shaft. IIRC, yes, those are some of the
symptoms. I've read that there are supposed to be marks, dimples, or
something for aligning the two halves, but I never could find them. I
always marked before separating them when replacing the center bearing and
housing.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 2:34 PM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> +1 for Allan.
>
> Nothing balanced or matched on the rear axles that I’ve ever been aware
> of. I would be looking for something out of alignment that might not allow
> the halfshaft(s) to run true. Like a joint not tightened down all the way
> around, maybe?
>
> Also, is it across the board when it occurs or just on one side?
>
> Did your German buddy do this work?
>
> -D
>
> > On Apr 9, 2023, at 3:27 PM, Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not aware of a mark but there may be one. When I did my '83 I marked
> the two halves so I could put them back together in the same orientation. A
> rare case of thinking ahead for me.
> >
> > I suppose another possibility is that the shop forgot to tighten
> something properly, that's happened to me more than once.
> >

> > On Sun, Apr 9, 2023, at 14:22, Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes wrote:
> >> Happy Easter to all the gentiles on the list.
> >>
> >> I know the driveshaft halves are balanced and that there is an alignment
> >> mark, but I had the shop drop a new hangar bearing donut into the 85 td
> and
> >> since then it picked up an intermittent severe vibration which is a bit
> >> random at speeds between 55 and 65 but definitely makes you stop the
> car to
> >> see if one of your tires has a tread separation or something. It acts
> fine
> >> for an hour at 80mph then suddenly gets all shaky. Anyway I think it
> must
> >> be the driveline as braking and steering have no effect on it. Anyone
> else
> >> experience this? Kind of annoying to pay the shop and then have issues,
> but
> >> serves me right I guess. It will go back to the shop but wondering if I
> am
> >> thinking correctly about the symptoms.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Karl

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun

"In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be
doing it."
        -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!