Verify that the center bearing support is actually bolted tightly in place?
Same for the ends of the driveshaft?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 4:38 PM Randy Bennell via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> On 10/04/2023 10:03 AM, Jim Cathey via Mercedes wrote:
> >> see if one of your tires has a tread separation or something. It acts
> fine
> >> for an hour at 80mph then suddenly gets all shaky. Anyway I think it
> must
> >> be the driveline as braking and steering have no effect on it.
> > My one experience with this problem, for sure, didn't have it being all
> that
> > intermittent.  See:
> >
> >       http://formicapeak.com/~jimc/JSLdline.html <
> http://formicapeak.com/~jimc/JSLdline.html>
> >
> > Short version: the alignment matters, down to the spline level.  Some
> drivelines
> > are marked in the castings, some are not.  It is possible to recover
> yourself,
> > cheaply, with some work.
> >
> > -- Jim
> >
> > _______________________________________
>
> I agree with Jim. I wouldn't think that it would be an intermittent
> issue if it was the drive shaft out of balance due to improper alignment
> after repair. One would think it would shake all the time if that were
> the case. Might shake worse at some speeds but one would think it would
> have vibration all the time due to imbalance.
>
> I would look carefully for some other problem before going back to the
> driveshaft.
>
> Is the engine still running smoothly when the vibration starts?
>
> Randy

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Werner
Von Braun

"In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be
doing it."
        -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!