1987 300 TD

As you may remember, several list members have made various suggestions of things to check. The problem appears to be internal to the Inj pump. There is good fuel flow through the filters. (no algae) Filters were replaced anyway. just to be certain we eliminated many sources of possible problems, I put an electric fuel pump ahead of the transfer pump, took off the oil filler cap to eliminate the possibility of crankcase pressure buildup, removed the IP side cover and manually held the rack to the full delivery position with the vacuum disconnected to the shut off. In this test, we got continuous flow through the pump and out the return line, but not enough fuel to start and run to the injector nozzles (tested by cracking the lines and comparing to the SDL engine) I tested the shut-off valve with a mighty vac and it appears to be working correctly. The rack pulls to the no-fuel position with the vacuum applied, and returns to a partial delivery position with the vacuum released.

Next weekend I am going to try replacing the copper seals and o-rings on the delivery valves, but I am running out of ideas. I believe holding the rack to full open will eliminate any influence of the mechanical governor. Each element of the pump operates off its own lobe of the cam, so it is unlikely that the cam had a massive failure. since fuel is flowing out of the IP overflow at the filter, I believe there can't be air pockets in the pump.

Does anyone else have any ideas? If a copper seal is bad, would that affect all the elements, or just one?

Loren  (frustrated, cause I think this is something simple)