trying to figure out how to add oil to my system.  It says to fill the
various components in the system, but doesn't indicate how one is to
actually accomplish these tasks.  My system has no oil whatsoever, so I
gather I'm supposed to fill the compressor and dryer, but it also mentions
the evaporator; how do you fill the evaporator?  How do you fill the
compressor?

You just pour it in a handy hole.  There's no point in putting it in
anything but the compressor, unless it won't hold it all.  (In which
case pour some into any handy component.)  The oil will distribute
itself very quickly, as it's soluble in the refrigerant.  The oil
quantities specified for the various components only represent the
amount of distributed oil that resides (at equilibrium) in those
components.  Except for the compressor, and to a lesser extent the
expansion valve, the oil is a useless component.  The total fill
quantity is calculated to result in the correct amount residing
in the compressor, at equilibrium.

-- Jim