Success, at least for now!

Floyd pointed out that the ferrule is supposed to be split.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-suspension-compressor-air-line-fitting-genuine-mercedes-2213280065

Mine didn't have the plastic insert that the FCP one shows. And I suspect that
the ferrule was in backwards, it's only beveled on one side so if it was in
backwards I don't think it would compress. Anyway I reinstalled it the ferrule,
smeared it with a little bit of stopcock sealing grease that I inherited from
my Dad, replaced the O-ring and tightened it up. This time it held.

I blew through the air filter and it didn't seem obstructed so I cut off the
rotted end of that hose and reattached it. The rubber is pretty crumbly so I'll
order a new filter and hose. Maybe a new air line fitting as well, just in case.

Could not quite figure out where the open end of the intake hose is supposed to
go. After some looking around I found a metal tab that held the filter, but
that put the end of the hose far away from the little recess that I thought
might hold it. I ended up zip-tying it to a bracket behind the headlight.

The rubber mounts for the air pump are also pretty far gone, so there's more
work to be done in there but at least the car is drivable again.