First I would dig into the whole thing with DAS/Xentry and see which nanny is actually unhappy and if there are any CANBUS errors or events. Or bad power at the modules in question, which would point to a relay or fuse driving the circuits.  Maybe they did that and decided their recommended fix was best (for them, not necessarily for the owner, and maybe they are just lazy or ignorant).

Then check a good key, just pay for a third key programmed to the car, looks like $235, that's quick and easy and in any case you would have a new key.  (But here if the key is turning, I am thinking the key is good)  If that doesn't start it then put in an EIS and program it to the car and do a key match with it (this can be done in Xentry easily in about 5min) and see if that works. Labor on that should be maybe 1hr.  (And again, if the key physically turns that suggest the EIS is OK?)  And if that doesn't work and the lock module is still bad then I would think that it was the culprit all along. This would be the best strategy given parts + labor on each step, the lock module is going to be the killer with the labor.  But someone adept with Xentry should be able to figure out exactly what the issue is and not shotgun $3k worth of parts and labor at it. I have a hard time thinking that  keys EIS and lock module all went bad at once, esp since the key will physically turn.

--FT

On 9/28/23 2:08 PM, mitch--- via Mercedes wrote:
On 2023-09-28 13:36, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes wrote:
So this makes me wonder what exactly might be wrong with it.

I look at the quote and think: Is it the ignition lock or the module that's bad? And are you charging me for both because you don't want to strand me when the second one fails, or are you charging me for both because you don't know what failed?

--FT