Fmiser wrote:
> rumor has it that Steve wrote:
>

>> 2. Do I have ANY hope of successfully using the original 240d tranny
>> with the OM617, or am I just going to grenade it? It's absolutely
>> perfect in every way, right now. Right now no one has any decent used
>> transmissions around here, and I don't imagine our listmom is drooling
>> to ship any of his up here to Kanuckistan :-0....
>>

> Well, in high-horsepower big trucks (700+ HP and 2500+ lb-ft) the
> reliable word is "use the big horsepower only in the high gears"
>
> In otherwords, even thought the transmission is not rated for that much
> power, the danger is only when that torque is multiplied by the
> transmission gear ratio.

That will protect the rest of the driveline from excessive torque, but
*may* not protect the transmission, depending on how it's built.  For
example, VW Bus transmissions are known for having a weak 4th gear, and
it's pretty common to break 4th when, say, a Toyota V6 engine is swapped
in.  Similarly, on Ford AOD automatics, the overdrive brake band is weak
and often fails with higher power. It may be good advice if the
transmission doesn't have any weak spots in the higher gears, though.

Are we talking about a manual 240D trans, here?  I thought other people
had already done this kind of swap before without problems.