rumor has it that Marshall wrote:

> Tom Hargrave wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > His may actually have shocks, not the self leveling suspension. I
> > don't know if MB sold wagons everywhere with the suspension they
> > sold in the states.
> >
> > Euan,
> >
> > If you do have conventional gas shocks then they are likely the same
> > parts as on the sedan. Also, there is no problem with purchasing
> > parts from the manufacturer. Bilstien shocks are the same quality as
> > the MB branded shocks.
>
> ALL wagons (at least thru the mid 90s) had self leveling suspension!
> They were NEVER manufactured any other way and there were NO
> provisions  (either springs or shocks) for converting them to
> conventional  suspension. People have tried and NONE of the
> conversions I know of was  considered even tolerable by anyone that
> had driven a car with the  system working as it was designed to work.

I live out in amoung the hill(billy)s in Missouri. There are _very_ few
Mercedes cars around. So I have my own collection of parts cars since
the nearest salvage yard that "sometimes we have a few of those" is
about 70 miles (110 km) away. These cars are visible from the road, so I
regularly get visitors - including the 3 other folks in the county that
have MB diesels.

One day a fellow (from the next county over) stopped in. He was in a
W123 300TD and was interested in selling it. Well, I could use another
wagon, so I let the conversation continue. The rear suspension looked
low, so I asked about it. Turns out he had removed the original "shocks"
'cause it "rode really rough like" and installed some gas-charged thing
that he claimed was sold as a proper upgrade (!!!??!!) to the original
system. *chuckle* "Still ride funny, though." he said.

My reply along the lines of, "uuuhh - the original was an automatic
height adjusting system...."

I felt sorry for him, but I still managed to talk him out of selling me
the car! *whew!*

--     Philip, ever so grateful for this list!!! It makes me look
smart... and that's no small task.