From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of R A Bennell
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 7:00 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] sending guests north

We already have some "guest workers" in Canada. However, we have had to
invite them to come in and work because they will do the jobs that decent
Canadians do not want to do. In Manitoba, we have more pigs than people.
Huge hog barns have become plentiful (Lord help our ground water - more on
this below). Now we need Hog processing plants and workers to fill them.
Lousy work at lousy pay. Folks from the country south of the USA seem
willing to do it.
The locals mostly do not want to. A company is trying to build a new hog
processing plant in Winnipeg now and the locals are screaming mad. They
don't want a messy hog procesing plant within the city limits. I can
understand not wanting it in your back yard but Winnipeg has had an area
devoted to meat processing for ever and I don't see this as being any
different. If one buys a house in that part of the city then one should be
willing to live with the potential issues. If not, then don't live over in
that area. Let the folks who work there, live close by. They likely won't
mind. We have, unfortunately, come to an era where everyone thinks they have
a god given right to have their area remain as it is and to prevent any sort
of progress. For example, there is a need for condominium buildings for
older folk who wish to move out of their homes. The locals in an area just
up from my office are dead set against any condo development in their area.
They expect people who sell their houses to move off to some other part of
town. I personally think it is not unreasonable to put some multifamily
buildings in the area so that folks can stay in their home area and not have
to leave when they move out of a detached family home.

Back to the hog manure issue - I keep wondering if we could harness the
energy in all the hog manure - methane in copious quantities to heat our
houses for next to nothing and maybe power our vehicles too. I hear that in
China many rural homes have a very basic bio-digester unit into which all
sorts of waste goes and methane results that heats the home and cooks the
meals etc. If they can do it on an individual scale, a hog farm should be
able to produce lots of gas and the process should make the by product safer
for the eco system after it has composted into soil.

Randy B