> but wouldn't i have to drive some miles for an hour?

Of course not, no more than the speedometer itself needs to.
It's just math.  Divide miles traveled (fractional is OK) by hours
taken to do so (ditto).  There's your answer.  The longer the timebase
or distance the more precise the result.  _Accuracy_ will depend on
the quality of your input data.  It will be difficult for you to process
other than some integral number of miles.  (The painted arrows
used by aircraft speed traps would be shorter, and good, if you
knew the distance and where to find one.)

My dad had an analog pilot's watch that had a stopwatch function and
a direct-reading MPH scale (nomograph) on it.  Just time yourself
over a measured mile and read speed off the scale.  IIRC his scale went
up to 600MPH or so.  You can do the same using a calculator.

Make sure the units are correct.  Miles over Hours.  If timing in
minutes and seconds, convert to fractional hours first.

You do need to hold a steady speed during the sample if you're wanting to
compare
to the speedometer rather than just get an average rate.  Cruise control, etc.

My personal record for this sort of thing was 82 miles in 44 minutes, IIRC.
Did it maybe a half-dozen times over the years, could never beat it.
Exhilarating. Stupid.  You can do the math.

-- Jim