> I sometimes wonder why wagons/estates are not more popular here. It's all
> SUVs and crossovers.

Fads and fashion.  I have no use for SUV's, I never have.  (A suburban, the
original,
is a UV, no S about it.  Your basic enclosed pickup truck.  If you need it, you
need it bad.
I don't, but it should exist.)  I'd take a wagon any day.  Smaller, lighter,
better handling,
faster, cheaper.  Probably holds more than the usual SUV, too.

If the 300TD had been available in 4WD we'd have several, since the late 90's.
And we'd still be driving them, no need for anything newer.

Yes, I'm driving an X5.  That's because we still have it, and we only bought it
because
a wagon really was no longer available by then.  It was to be a mommy-van to
drive
kids to school in the carpool.  (The other snob-moms wouldn't let their
darlings ride
in our 'too old' 560SEL, which was in all other ways entirely suitable.)  The
need for
it is long gone by now.

I drive so little though that I have to have the X5 on a battery tender.
Full-time
work from home.

-- Jim