Mike Canfield wrote:

> GM says DO NOT use any chips and such on the DUramax.  They say it is tuned
> as good as it gets and any mods will burn out the catalyst from too high of
> EGT's.

Do all DM have cats? If not, when did it start?
My buddy's 2001 7.3 PS is catless, but it's the old 235hp version.

On EGT:
I believe NO mods should be undertaken without EGT gauge.
If you reflash the computer on a Ford with the minimum (I think it's
+30hp) program from something like a Power Programmer, you will add
very little fuel, most of the power increase will come from the timing
change, and I would expect the EGT decrease from the timing to roughly
match the EGT increase from the fuel.

On mods in general:
Don't do any mods on any engine unless you want to take financial
responsibility if it throws a rod or holes a piston. That should be
a very unlikely problem if you don't go overboard. Most of the busted
Fords I've heard of were running extreme timing advance plus propane.
That particular combo can put a rod through the block in a month or
two. I never spent any time reading Duramax forums, and I never heard
of a blown up Cummins when I was reading Dodge forums, so blown 7.3
Powerstrokes are all I know anything about.

Mitch.