VW made a splash shield on the later models http://www.greaseworks.org/index.php?module=pncommerce&func=itemview&ItemID=10
and changed the way it exits the valve cover to stop that bit of excitement.

---------Robert

Frederick Moir wrote:

Hi, All.
  I've had two small diesel pickups. A Toyota Hi-Lux, with a suspiciously MBZ
type engine, that #1 son killed by holing #3 piston and the input shaft bearing
failed in the 5 speed, plus his 3 accidents. (sigh). The other was the VW
Rabbit PU, it succumbed to rust and I wore out the engine. It would take off of
its' own accord with lots of smoke. Help! Stand on the brakes and get it under
sixty and continue, cautiously. Shouldda used M1!
  If "they" made, or at least IMPORTED, a decent small diesel pickup, I'd buy
one, being a city dweller don't ya know.
  Klatta on!
  Fred Moir
  Lynn MA
  Diesel Rules!