On 6-Aug-06, at 9:19 AM, Marshall Booth wrote:

John M McIntosh wrote:
I've not checked the air filter, it should be clean, but will confirm, but if it was plugged would one be able to generate 9 psi of boost?

As a test just remove the air filter for a single 0-62 mph acceleration run!

The turbo can provide more than twice to boost that it's limited to. The only limiting devices limit boost. If there is high resistance to entering air (or low air pressure as occurs at high altitudes) the turbo CAN largely overcome this, but when THAT occurs, full load boost will be shifted "to the right" when graphed against engine rpm.

The boost curve (at full load) should rise from essentially no boost to 8 bar boost between 1200 and 2000 rpm and then remain at or slightly above 8 bar all the way out to 4000+ rpm with just a little droop at the as you reach the 5000+ limit.

It's all outlined nicely in 09-0050 of the 602/603 engine manual with graph on page 7.

Ok, well considering I've already figured out that the main filter wasn't replaced when the dealer did the initial service, I should have guess they likely didn't do the air filter. Pull air filter housing, nope a Mann product there, looks very dirty, get replacement filter from dealer, has MB part number on it.
I'd guess it was replaced at 120K km  (53K km, 30K miles ago).

Replace, mmm a quick test shows times of 14, versus 14.5+ More testing tomorrow, then I'll use my diesel purge hoses and a gallon of diesel in a bottle and rule in/out
issues between the IP and tank.

John
1983 300TDt  368k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  173k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 180k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)