When I did help-desk computer support for a bank in Florida (Barnett, out of
Jax 1995-1997), one phone call would be a teller who couldn't get her
Okidata printer to print, and the next one would be a bank teller who had a
comp;uter terminal lockup, and the next one would be a "Bank" VP or
extremely senior P who had trouble with Excel, and the next might be someone
with ATM troubles.

My job was to see in my mind what he/she was seeing and help them resolve
the issue. Paid pretty well but total burnout factor.

Sent a guy from Diebold out to check on an ATM near Miami. They were our
"eyes on-site" thing.  He called me back and said he'd located the problem
-- a very long (and very dead) rattlesnake wrapped up into the gears! Said
he'd "fix" it but it wouldn't be pretty!

Uncle Don's Story Time -- got a call from a Hispanic Speaker (based on
accent) in South Miami. Her teller-terminal computer was locked. Took me
about 15 minutes to help her fix it (it was REALLY screwed up!). She said
she was a single-teller satellite bank and customers were lined up out the
door and down the block. At lunch time. On a Friday.

So ... I got her 'puter fixed and back online. She said, "Gawd, Don, you are
so cool, is there ANYTHING I can to to thank you?"  (We were [1] 300 miles
apart, and I was [2] recently married to Debbie!)

I said, "Sure ... right before you hang up the phone, say very loudly, 'I
love you too darling and thanks for calling, but I should get back to work
now.'"

Her reply -- "Do you want to see me suddenly DEAD?"    :-)

Just my job, ma'am, just my job.

D.

On 8/11/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

archer wrote:
> I accidentally hit two keys on an ATM the other day and it crashed. It
> rebooted automatically as Windows XP.  It was amazing that a bank would
use
> Windows XP when it is the target of so many attacks.

Open up most ATMs and you'll find commodity PC hardware inside, with a
few custom bits interfaced to it.  (PIN pad, touch screen, cash
dispenser.)  The days of building them with custom hardware and software
are over.

I think banks consider the risk acceptable because ATMs usually are not
exposed on the Internet.  They work by direct dial-in or dedicated
network links.  Also, the most secret information involved in your
transaction -- the PIN -- is generally encrypted *in the keypad module*
and isn't even available to the ATM's CPU in unencrypted form.