rumor has it that woodlandtaylors wrote:

> Kaleb,
>
> Don't know if this would work for you.
>
> I use a free program called Cutepdf it gets installed as a printer.
> Any text, picture, photograph or scanned item is "printed" to a file
> (you name it) that can be read by Acrobat reader or other pdf
> readers. Creating PDF files will take some of my BMP files from a
> Meg down to 50K for email etc.

PDF has no builtin method for images. It is a (vertor) text format.
However, it will use jpeg compression if it encounters an image. Thus,
what you have done is made a .jpg copy of your .bmp and wrapped that
.jpg inside of a .pdf wrapper.

Not that this is bad, but it can be a bother to extract the image from
the PDF so it can be treated as an image again. Now, if what you are
trying to do is make it a bit harder for someone to modify your
images, then a .pdf of a .bmp isn't such a bad idea. About as secure
as latching a screen door, but it will still help!

Irfan is the best MS Windows image viewing progam I've found. It can
also convert, so you could open your .bmp and save-as an .jpg (or
.png, or ???).

The real strength of pdf is that it's a part of postscript, which is a
vector graphics and text format. As such, it is resolution
independant. Zoom in as far as your program will let you, and never
see a pixel - unless your really looking at a wrapped jpeg. *smile*

If you want images an vector graphics, take a look at Inkscape.

--           Philip, graphics nut