Sheesh - most of the runways I flew off of didn't have anyplace to
paint a number (grass) -- the only gyro I had was the T&B indicator.
We thought 1700 feet was plenty of runway (power line on the North
end, Trees on the South end - that's how you knew which way you were
pointed).  You knew you were making a good landing when you could hear
the tires in the grass before they touched the ground. My age is
showing again ---