Exactly, I would only inch to the line, but it sends a message. I thought it was pretty harsh at first when the old guys were teaching me, but after about the third time of missing a ramp due to a line of clowns not letting me over and having to go 40+ miles down the road before finding a place to turn around then come back, I learned to use the law real fast. Considering that I have well over 1.5 million accident free commercial miles ( better than a third of those done on ice and snow )and over .5 million accident free personal miles and have never put a scratch in anything by my fault, a record that very few can match ( only wreck I've ever had was on a motorcycle when some clown ran a stop sign and flattened me ), I wouldn't consider myself reckless by any stretch of the imagination. Those guys that will ditch them, that's just plain rough and uncalled for, but they are in the right legally and if the bozo's in the cars weren't driving unsafely and illegally, they wouldn't be in that position.

You'd be surprised how many time when riding the line that I'd STILL have 20 or more cars illegally passing me.

----------Robert

Zoltan Finks wrote:
Wow. That is harsh. BUT I can see your side too - you cannot do your
job because people in cars will simply not let you in. What can you do
besides inch over? That sounds like the good compromise. Now, those
who will intentionally "ditch" people, I just can't see that.

Also:

Your theory assumes that someone is just sort of cruising and holding
their position behind or infront of your rear bumper. What if they are
advancing at a speed greater than yours, and will make their way past
you in a timely fashion (again, opinion enters in) but they are
technically behind your bumper when you put on your signal. You would
require them to lean on the brakes and let you over?

Brian

 Robert wrote:

When driving big trucks, I follow the letter of the law, anyone whose
front bumper is past my rear bumper when I hit the signal, I let them go
by, anyone whose front bumper is behind my rear bumper when I hit the
signal is required to let me in, so it's 500 ft down the highway with
the blinker on and anyone who was behind the bumper when I hit the
signal, better get out of the way, because I'm coming over.