Zeitgeist wrote:
> Not sure why tantalum was chosen over electrolytics, but here's my source
> article:

IIRC, tantalum caps have a wider temperature range and narrower
tolerances.  (Electrolytics are usually no better than +/- 10%, with
+20/-10% not being uncommon.)  Electrolytics also have a limited life
span -- eventually they dry out.  Finally, they're less compact.

All Electronics has tantalums, but I think they have a minimum order:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/140800/Tantalum.html
Digi-Key has been aggressively removing items from their catalog that
contain heavy metals and toxic substances, so that's probably why you
can't find them there.  There's a big push in the electronics industry
to use less toxic materials, especially in Europe, where companies are
required to take devices back for recycling.

> http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_intermittent_syndrome.htm

It looks like they're using the capacitor as a filter to shunt noise to
ground. The value is probably non-critical.  I'm not sure why they don't
want you to use an electrolytic.  This seems like a classic application
for one.  It may be the engine compartment is too hot for them.

I always kind of suspected the underlying problem was that the
mechanical AFMs would get worn spots where the signal would get "noisy,"
kind of like a scratchy volume control.  I never had a van with "Vanagon
syndrome," or I'd have attached an oscilloscope and found out.