Here in DC you can count one-one thousand, two-one thousand... all the way
to five one-thousand during the yellow phase.  We don't want to stigmative
drivers for running a red light, so we accommodate them by
s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the yellow cycle.  As they say in the Guinness
commercial, "Brilliant!"

Also, they refuse to put red light cameras on deadly downtown intersections
because it would catch too many politically powerful folks who live in the
VA or MD suburbs...  Instead, the cameras are installed in less
"advantaged" parts of town to trap the drivers who are just as potentially
deadly, but too politically powerless to raise a ruckus with their
congress(wo)man...