Need some list wisdom about a problem I'm having with my 84 300SD.

My wife was driving to work with most the electrical services on (wipers, lights, fan, radio). The radio died first and then the wipers.No alternator light came on. She couldn't see because of the heavy rain, pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off. It wouldn't start again. Had it towed home. She said the day before, the alt light had come on briefly. After charging the battery, it started right up.Decided to replace the alternator.

Completed that job today (the rain has stopped for the moment). When I started her up, all three emergency brake, alt and brake pad lights as well as the fuel reserve light stayed on even after the engine started. They would go out if I revved the engine, only to return at idle. Drove the car down the street and back and the lights finally went out. Took it for a longer drive and I heard the fan belt squealing. A few minutes later the belt stopped making noise, but the alt light was glowing faintly no matter what the engine speed.

Returned home and shut her down. Now when I go to start it, the only lights that come on are the glow plug and seat belt. They both go off at the appropriate times.

Any suggestions about next steps?

Thanks in advance,

Martin Buck
84 300SD